What is Drupal Commerce?
Drupal Commerce is not an out-of-the-box eCommerce application. It's a much more flexible system, engineered specifically to allow for customisation. You might ask “Well, if it’s not an application, then what is it?”. The answer to that question is simple. It’s a framework.
What’s the difference between an application and a framework, in the context of Drupal Commerce? The most notable is the presence of the many APIs that have been written by the Commerce development team. These APIs are what give Commerce its flexibility, by allowing developers to replace/augment/extend existing functionality, or even develop brand new features that didn’t exist before.
It’s better because it doesn’t make assumptions about how you want your store to work.
What are the benefits?
- Drupal is a very powerful content management system and online marketing platform. Drupal Commerce is fully integrated in Drupal, and benefits from all the advantages that the power of Drupal offers, so your end users can enjoy a seamless experience on your e-commerce website.
- Lower investment in development (in comparison with a solution where you have two separate systems) because you don’t need to integrate two separate systems.
- No expensive licensing costs. Not satisfied with your current digital agency? No worries: your e-commerce platform works with open-source technology.
- Your e-commerce platform is also safe: Drupal performs weekly security updates which are closely monitored by the permanent Drupal Security Team that has the sole task of keeping Drupal as secure as possible.
- SEO, CRO (conversion rate optimisation) and Google Analytics are much simpler to manage as they work with just a single system rather than two separate systems. Optimising the customer journey is much simpler as your end user has to follow only one path to order products from your website.
- Drupal Commerce has various options for retaining and monitoring your orders. These can be found on the same admin panel as content management, so it’s easy for you to monitor your orders, and manage and update your website.
- In addition, Drupal Commerce has different modules to monitor visitor numbers to your website, and their conversion to customers when they order products on your website.
- Because Drupal Commerce works with Drupal, your e-commerce platform also uses Drupal's powerful access system, which allows you to fully manage users and their roles, for example customers’ rights on your website.
- As mentioned, Drupal Commerce is open-source, which allows you to use functionalities developed by a team of over one million developers from across the world. Many of these functionalities are designed to give you a better understanding of your clients' needs, and so increase sales.
- Are you using an external system to monitor your orders or for customer management? No problem. Drupal can be easily integrated with external applications, as a powerful API layer is built into Drupal. This allows you to share all the data from your website with other systems. If you want to extract data from your external systems, you can use the Feeds module in Drupal.
- Unlike Magento and WordPress, where you often have to pay more for ‘premium’ plugins or modules, Drupal Commerce is completely free. You will never have to pay extra for modules that already exist.